Sustainable Development Goal 16 includes several targets for good governance:
- Promote the rule-of- law and ensure equal access to justice for all;
- Substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all their forms;
- Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels;
- Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making
- Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms.
These targets are to be achieved through combined efforts of governments, civil society and
private sector which necessitates understanding the effectiveness of civil society approaches for promoting good governance; how civil society can make greater contributions; and how the donors, such as the World Bank, and civil society can work together to help fulfill good governance targets in SDG 16.
On April 18 at 4:00pm in the I building of the World Bank, Partnership for Transparency and Global Integrity will sponsor a World Bank Civil Society Policy Forum session to discuss: (a) evidence on the effectiveness of civil society approaches; and (b) how civil society organizations’ engagement around governance and development challenges can be strengthened by support for the use of data crafting effective solutions; and (c) the implications of this for the World Bank’s evolving agenda on open government and citizen engagement. For more information visit the World Bank Civil Society Policy Forum website. Read more about PTF’s involvement in international financial institutions’ citizen engagement.